At the July 2016 meeting of the Sarasota Downtown Merchants Association (SDMA), attending members enthusiastically agreed to work together to launch a community-wide effort to send care packages to local men and women that are serving in the armed forces overseas.
These packages will include both foods and products that our military men and women can enjoy while they are deployed, as well as coupons and gift cards they can use when they return home.
“Our participation in ‘Operation Care Package’ is an opportunity for downtown merchants and residents to show our friends and family members serving our country overseas that we are thinking of them and that we appreciate their service,” says Ron Soto, SDMA chairman.
The young men and women that receive our care packages will never forget your generosity and will become loyal, lifelong supporters of your business.
A local resident shared his own experience years ago, when he received a similar package from the community in which he lived when he was serving in the military overseas. When he returned home, the veteran made a point of always giving his business to the merchants that had acknowledged his service to our country.
To date, we already have received generous donations from our downtown merchants, including:
- Sift Bakehouse—1383 McAnsh Square—An assortment of bakery goodies (hometown comfort food!)
- Salon 41—41 S. Palm Avenue—Coupon for a free men’s haircut with Jim or Neil
- Indigo West—134 S. Pineapple Avenue—Turkish towels, laundry soap, body soaps, lotions & room spray, all gift-wrapped for service women
- Cold Stone Creamery—1900 Main Street—$10 gift card
- Penzeys Spices—1516 Main Street—Mugs and Penzeys brand spices
- Pixie Dust Metaphysical Boutique—1476 Main Street—15% off coupons
- Panaché—1441 Main Street—20% off coupons for all merchandise, including sale items
- Patrick’s 1481—1481 Main Street—Coupons for free appetizers
Other downtown merchants that also will be donating products and services include:
- Gator Club—1490 Main Street
- PJ’s Boutique—1143 Main Street
- The Cookie Cottage—335 Gillespie Avenue
- Scout & Molly’s—1413 1st Street
- Soto’s Opticians—1383 Main Street
- Smokin Joe’s Pub—1448 Main Street
- Malbi Décor—127 S. Pineapple Avenue
- Kennedy Studios—1472 Main Street
All downtown merchants are asked to participate in “Operation Care Package” by collecting the names and addresses of local family members and friends serving in the military. You also are welcome to include a product, coupon or a gift card from your business. Just click here to send an e-mail to email@example.com, and we will gladly arrange pick-up of the contact details and your donated items to include in the packages, which will be sent overseas in time for the holidays.
If you would like to participate, please fill out the form below.
Downtown residents also are encouraged to participate in “Operation Care Package” by making a donation! Even a
$5.00 contribution will help us purchase additional products to send overseas.
You can make a donation here by clicking on the “Donate Now” button below. Or you are welcome to send a check to: SDMA, PO Box 1423, Sarasota, FL 34230.
The SDMA asks all downtown merchants and residents to support our local men and women in the military by getting involved!